Lemon Meringue Cream
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups castor sugar
1 tspn lemon juice
2 tspns icing sugar
5 tblspns cornflour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tspns grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup thickened cream
- Cut 25cm circle from piece of grease-proof paper; place on lightly greased oven tray.
- Brush paper lightly with melted butter, dust with cornflour, shake off excess cornflour.
- Combine egg whites, castor sugar and lemon juice in small basin of electric mixer, beat on high speed for 15 minutes.
- Fold in sifted icing sugar.
- Spread a 7mm layer of meringue over prepared paper.
- Pipe remaining meringue mixture around edge to form shell.
- Bake in very slow oven 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until dry to touch; cool in oven with door ajar.
- Remove paper from meringue, place on serving plate.
- Spread filling into meringue shell, refrigerate until set.
- Decorate with whipped cream and fruit.
- Blend cornflour and sugar with water, lemon rind and lemon juice in pan.
- Stir constantly over heat untilmixture boils and thickens, reduce heat, simmer, stirring, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, then egg yolks, cover, cool to room temperature.
- Stir in cream.
- Press a piece of plastic food wrap onto surface of filling to prevent skin forming.