Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake
1 packet Golden sponge cake mix
1/4 cup cocoa
300ml jar thickened cream
60g dark cooking chocolate
1 punnet (50g) strawberries
1 punnet (250g) strawberries
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 tblspn gelatine
2 tblspns lemon juice
2 egg whites
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 tblspn Grand Marnier
- Make sponge according to directions on packet, but add sifted cocoa before starting to beat.
- Pour mixture into greased swiss roll tin (base measures 25cm x 30cm) bake in moderate oven 15 to 20 minutes, turn onto rack to cool.
- When cake is cold,split cake in half horizontally.
- Line a loaf tin (base measures 9cm x 22cm) with a strip of aluminium foil, cut pieces of cake to line base and sides of tin.
- Cake should extend 2.5cm above top edge of tin.
- Pour in mousse, push 3/4 of the strawberries into mousse.
- Place a layer of cake on top of mousse.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, turn cake onto serving plate.
- Combine cream and chocolate together in pan, stir over low heat without boiling until chocolate is melted.
- Cool to room temperature, refrigerate 30 minutes, then beat on electric mixer until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat or cream will curdle.
- Cover cake with cream, decorate with remaining cream and strawberries.
- Puree, blend or process strawberries and sugar until smooth.
- Dissolve gelatine in lemon juice over hot water, pour into strawberry mixture.
- Fold in beaten egg whites, then whipped cream and Grand Marnier.