Lamb Roulade with Mint Pesto
2kg lamb shoulder, bone intact
4 cups salt reduced chicken stock
6 garlic cloves, crushed
4 rosemary sprigs, leaves removed
5 lemons, halved
1 tblspn olive oil
1 bunch mint leaves
1/2 bunch parsley leaves
1 eschallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup cashews
60 grams grated parmesan
125ml extra virgin olive oil
- Set oven to 150c.
- Place lamb shoulder in a large roasting pan, then add chicken stock, garlic, rosemary and lemons.
- cover with foil and roast for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile to make mint pesto, process all ingredients except oil, until finely chopped.
- Gradually add oil,processing until combined.
- Season and refrigerate until required.
- Remove lamb from oven.
- Remove meat from cooking liquid and shred coarsely into a large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the liquid including the rosemary. Season.
- Form lamb into an 8cm diameter roll on a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly, twisting ends to form a sausage shape.
- Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Remove plastic wrap from lamb. Slice into 6 even pieces.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pann over medium heat.
- Add lamb and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to an oven tray and bake for 8 minutes at 180c.
- Serve topped with pesto and roast vegetables or mash and gravy